Hubcap Flower Tutorial from Blue Velvet Chair

Before I show you how to make your very own happy hubcap flowers, I'd like to send a huge thanks to Jackie here at Simple Home Life for having enough faith in this new blogger (that's me) to do a guest blog exchange. Thanks, Jackie!
Enjoy the tutorial!

How many of you have driven past lost and abandoned hubcaps on the side of the road and thought to yourself, "I could do something with those!" Well...I thought that exact thing for years and finally did something about it! It all started with a quick roadside hubcap hunt, which made me the proud owner of a Saab, a Volvo, and an Audi...the only time I'll ever say that in my lifetime!






So, home to the bathtub they went for a good scrub - which also provided me with the necessary motivation to give my bathtub a good cleaning afterwards. Bonus!



I applied a quick coat of spray primer - didn't worry about full coverage...just enough to give the plastic hubcaps a bit of support to hold the paint. Remember when hubcaps were actually metal? Nowadays they are so lightweight, so I already knew I wanted to create a 'wall garden'. I left one of the hubcaps turned over in the photo so that you could see that I didn't worry about getting all the grease and grime off the back sides...it won't show in the end, so no problem to skip that step and save yourself some time.

Then I took zip ties (cable ties) that we had in the garage, and attached them in varying lengths around the openings at the outer edge. these would be my petals.


And now for my favorite part...spray painting!


In the photo above, you get a sneak peek at the other two flowers that will be added to my wall garden when I get them finished later this week. I painted a bright blue center to contrast with the pink/purple color chosen for the flower. It's okay if the edges bleed together a bit...makes it feel a little more airbrushed.

Making this flower not only forced me to give my bathtub a good scrub, it also provided one of my overgrown bushes outside with a nice springtime trim when I needed some branches to use for my flower stems. The leaves are made from plastic strapping - the kind that comes around boxes to hold them together during shipping. A quick trip to the back side of a local home improvement store gave me what I needed...and I even scored a couple of green straps that were perfect for this project.


I simply cut a length of the plastic strapping and used a staple gun to hold it in place.


More fun with spray painting! This time with green.


After my first failed attempt at giving the flower center a final flourish (it looked more like a boob than a flourish), I opted for some flat glass beads that I've had stuffed in a drawer for forever...they gave just enough flourish. I used an all-purpose clear bonding glue (kinda like super glue) that worked a charm.


Ah, there she is. Flora, the first bloom on my wall garden. I put a wire hook on her back side - easy to do because there are so many hook openings or wires already on the back of the hubcap - and hung her on an existing screw that was coming out of our brick home. The stem is simply supported by the ground and the flower, but it will soon get its own little support to keep it attached to the wall properly.


The wall - soon to be wall garden - is just begging for more of these colorful little bits of eye candy. I can't wait to get the others finished.


I hope you'll stop by my place at the Blue Velvet Chair later this week to see if the wall garden has bloomed! You can even stop by today to check out Jackie as the BVC guest blogger.

And I can't wait to see some happy hubcap flowers bloom in your garden soon. Thanks again to Jackie for the fun visit!

Until next time...
Michael